Try my version of pasta e fagioli. It’s hearty and delicious and it can be made in under 30 minutes or throw everything in the crock pot so you can have a yummy bowl of soup when you get home from work.
- couple of fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs (sub. Italian seasoning)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon grape seed or olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 minced or pressed garlic clove
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained (use 2 cans of beans if you decide to leave out the meat substitute)
- 1 package meat substitute (optional)
- 1 cup whole grain or whole wheat elbow macaroni (cook it before you add it to the soup)
- pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 can diced tomatoes, optional
- chopped kale to garnish
- salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a pot and add the onions and garlic and saute until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the kale. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes until the veggies are tender.
3. Add the pasta, ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with raw kale.