4 c. water or vegetable stock
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 small can of tomato paste (you can add more if you wish)
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed (I prefer to use garlic powder.)
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. grapeseed oil (to sautee your veggies)
1. Lightly sautee all the vegetables in a large pot.
2. Add salt and spices. Add lentils and vegetable stock.
3. Bring to a quick boil. Add more water if needed.
4. Stir in tomato puree.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and and cook for 30 min. If desired, you can add chopped parsley before serving.
6. This delicious soup goes well with brown rice, whole wheat tortillas or pita bread. Enjoy!