Serves app. 6-8 big portions.
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 cup Spanish olives stuffed with pimentos
- 1-2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 3 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 2 cups green beans, whole or long pieces
- 1 12 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts (optional)
- 1 handful of green beans, cut in half or long slices (maybe 2 cups)
- 7 cups vegetable stock or water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder or saffron*
- 1 teaspoon no-salt vegan seasoning
- salt and pepper
Other veggie options: mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus, red beans, etc. Anything goes!
*Don’t have saffron or turmeric? No problem! These are not essential ingredients since their main purpose is to make the rice yellow. Saffron has a mild earthy taste and has to be soaked in the cooking liquid for a few minutes before adding it to the rice. Turmeric is pretty much tasteless but it does have some medicinal properties.
1. Sautee bell peppers, garbanzos, onions, olives, and rice with a little oil. Stir constantly until the onions are translucent and the rice is completely covered with oil. Season with salt and pepper and seasonings.
2. Add liquid and bring to a boil.
3. Cover and simmer in low heat for about 40 minutes.
4. Quickly add the tomatoes and green beans and cover again. Continue to cook for 10-15 more minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed. Brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice.
5. Mix in the artichokes and serve.