The perfect soup for a rainy day!
Ingredients for the soup:
- 2 cartons vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 zucchinis, diced or sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 2 fresh tomatoes, diced (add a pinch of sugar to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup quick cooking barley or brown rice (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- *Add more veggies if you want like green beans, squash, etc.
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 5 corn tortillas
- grape seed or olive oil
- 1 or 2 sliced avocados
- shredded vegan cheese (optional)
- lemon wedges
1. In a large pot, heat a little oil and sauté carrots, potatoes, pepper, onions, celery, and garlic. Add salt and pepper.
2. Add bay leaf, tomatoes, oregano, chili powder and vegetable broth. Season to taste and bring to boil. Simmer for 25 minutes.
3. Add the zucchini and barley and cook for 1o more minutes. *If you decide to add dry rice (not instant), then you have to add the rice in the beginning together with the veggies.
4. Garnish with cilantro, avocado, and tortilla strips. Add a few drops of lemon juice if desired.
To make the tortilla chips, lightly brush the tortillas with oil and cut into strips. Bake on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes and set aside until it’s time to serve your soup. Save the leftovers in a paper bag.