Did you just say Brussels sprouts? Yes, nutty Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, and whole wheat pasta make a quick and delicious (not to mention healthful) pasta sauce that’s ready in the time it takes to boil water and cook pasta. The trick to cooking Brussels sprouts is to not overcook them. So please dig in, no need to be afraid.
- Brussels sprouts (as many as you’d like), trimmed, outer leaves removed, and thinly sliced
- About 1 cup of sliced mushrooms (any type of mushrooms)
- 2 cups of any bite-sized shaped whole wheat past
- 1/2 cup or more of chopped onion (I personally prefer scallions in this recipe)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. grape seed or olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp. salt and pasta. Follow the package instructions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium-high heat add the oil, onions, and garlic. When fragrant and sizzling, add Brussels sprouts and mushroom and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until Brussels sprouts are slightly soft and a little brown, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and keep warm, stirring occasionally.
3. Toss the cooked pasta, Brussels sprouts and mushrooms with a little more olive oil in a bowl and serve hot.
Serves about 6 people.